Sascha Eisenkrätzer went on a three-week lengthy trip to Australia with us. From the marvelous Blue Mountains to the spectacular Nice Barrier Reef, he shares his expertise of traversing the east coast, together with sensible ideas and private suggestions.
Creator: Sascha Eisenkrätzer
Australia is an enormous nation: this is without doubt one of the first issues you should know earlier than planning your journey. It’s at all times a good suggestion to decide on only one a part of the nation, relying on what your pursuits are.
Since nature, wildlife and the Nice Barrier Reef have been on our agenda, we determined to discover the east coast on an epic street journey from Sydney to Port Douglas . We had 4 stops on our three-week lengthy journey, and we have been in a position to expertise the easiest of what the east coast needed to provide.
Right here’s an summary of our fabulous 1,600-mile street journey throughout this beautiful a part of Australia.
Sydney, the capital of New South Wales, was our first cease. Town is a melting pot of tradition and attracts you in with its vibrant environment, nice meals and tradition. We took within the sights of town and its glittering skyline, and visited the various wildlife parks and nature reserves within the neighborhood.
One of many highlights for us was the full-day tour to Blue Mountains. We marveled on the plateau with its waterfalls, deep gorges and spectacular rock formations. Our journey additionally included a go to to Featherdale Wildlife Park. We arrived on the park at round 9 am, earlier than the remainder of the guests, and have been in a position to see kangaroos, koalas, wallabies and wombats up shut and in peace. Right here’s a professional tip: whereas reserving, at all times test if you will get admission into wildlife parks earlier than they formally open within the mornings. This manner, you possibly can benefit from the premises with out the crowds. Enchanting Travels helped us with this, and we are able to’t advocate the expertise sufficient!
These all for tradition can take a behind-the-scenes take a look at the Sydney Opera Home on an unique guided tour. For foodies, I like to recommend a day journey to Hunter Valley, the birthplace of Australian wine. Style some award-winning drops and be taught extra in regards to the winemaking course of.
Brisbane is a good metropolis to get away from all of it and decelerate. We explored town on an e-scooter, and basked in the fantastic thing about the Metropolis Botanic Gardens. The park covers about 20 hectares and is positioned on the riverbank. The oldest backyard within the metropolis, it options many tropical vegetation, glowing ponds and picnic areas. A particular characteristic is the picket walkway that’s illuminated at night time. It’s an awesome vantage level to absorb the greenery and observe totally different species of birds. On our means again from the gardens, we stopped by Betty’s Burgers for some scrumptious burgers!
Private tip: We advocate visiting the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. The sanctuary is dwelling to greater than 100 koalas, making it the biggest koala park on the earth. The in depth grounds are additionally dwelling to kangaroos, possums, emus, platypuses and wombats. Make sure you ebook the behind-the-scenes tour. We discovered numerous attention-grabbing info in regards to the meals, habitat and sleeping behaviors of those animals.
Brisbane’s South Financial institution is nicely value a go to. The inexperienced, spacious space is positioned on the previous Expo website on the banks of the Brisbane River. It boasts many small shops, eating places, markets, occasions and world-class museums. It even has its personal seaside known as Streets Seaside.
Hamilton Island has been on our bucket record for some time. It was wonderful to lastly flip that longstanding journey dream into actuality! It was enjoyable to discover the biggest island within the Whitsundays, particularly with our personal buggy at our disposal all through our keep. Please observe that Hamilton Island is without doubt one of the hottest trip spots in Australia – the island has nice tourism infrastructure and plenty of good resorts and inns.
From right here, a visit to Whitehaven Seaside is very advisable. Certainly one of Down Underneath’s most stunning seashores, its sand is made up of 99 p.c quartz, giving it a superb white hue. It’s greatest to set aside half a day to discover this glorious seaside.
We had deliberate eight nights in Port Douglas on the finish of our journey, so we may spend extra time at Daintree Rainforest and the Nice Barrier Reef. Nonetheless, close by Cairns turned out to be much more attention-grabbing and numerous for us. Since all excursions are attainable from each locations, we most popular to make use of Cairns as our base.
The mix of the rainforest and the Nice Barrier Reef was an absolute delight. From full-day excursions into the rainforest with alternatives to snorkel within the Outer Reef, there’s a lot to expertise on this area. We hope to spend a few nights within the rainforest close to Mossman Gorge or Cape Tribulation on our subsequent go to!
Our advice for an in a single day keep within the Daintree Rainforest: the Daintree Eco Lodge and the Silky Oaks Lodge.
A day journey to Kuranda is a good addition to your east coast trip. The mountain village is positioned about 18 miles north of Cairns, in the midst of the rainforest. Take the prepare to get there, and the cable automotive on the best way again: this manner you’ll expertise the panorama from each views. The cable automotive journey additionally provides you the flexibleness to increase or shorten your journey, as per your desire.
There’s a lot to see and uncover in Kuranda. Wildlife lovers will benefit from the fowl, butterfly and koala park. For nature lovers, we advocate a ship journey on the Barron River and a hike to the spectacular viewpoints Barron Falls and Wrights Lookout.
Suggestions and Suggestions From Our Specialists
- Australia is a big nation: it is just slightly smaller than the continental USA. Only for some perspective, Melbourne is 20km nearer to Antarctica than it’s to Darwin.
- Many individuals have the misperception that you may solely see reef life on the Nice Barrier Reef, or solely see kangaroos on Kangaroo Island. In actuality, you possibly can have very numerous experiences staying in a single state or territory. For instance, in the event you needed to go to Sydney, you would see the bush and native animals within the Blue Mountains and get your fill of walks and nature. Or you would go to locations comparable to Kangaroo Valley that aren’t too removed from Sydney. Spend time within the seashores of Byron Bay and Bondi, go to wineries in Hunter Valley and for an unforgettable island expertise, contemplate Lord Howe Island. You possibly can have all of those experiences with out leaving New South Wales!
- Know your seasons: The most effective time to go to northern Queensland, Central Australia and the Western coast is Could to October. It isn’t advisable to go to Queensland and the Northern Territory between November and March. It’s too sizzling within the desert and its moist season within the tropics. You additionally get numerous stingers (jellyfish) up north at the moment of yr.
- Oceania is liable to many main climate occasions comparable to excessive flooding, as a consequence of rising sea ranges and local weather change. So, for example, it will not be prudent to go to the coastal areas throughout the wet season.
- Ideally, begin planning your Australia vacation eight to 12 months prematurely, so that you get entry to your inns and experiences of selection plus the advantage of decrease flight costs.
At Enchanting Travels, we take pleasure in crafting extremely personalised journeys preserving your journey goals and wishlist in thoughts. If you happen to’ve been dreaming of an Oceania journey full of metropolis breaks, wildlife sightings, seaside stops and winery visits, attain out to our journey consultants, and so they’ll curate your most memorable trip but!