The Cayambe Nationwide Park is likely one of the most biodiverse areas in Ecuador and among the finest locations on this planet for chicken watching. The reserve was created on November 17, 1970 and has a system of 80 glacial lagoons, fed by the melting glacier on the Cayambe volcano. Cayambe additionally the best mountain on this planet crossed by the equator line, at latitude 0º and the third largest peak in Ecuador.
You possibly can take a tour to go to Cayambe, which for us its one of the best volcano in Ecuador to go to attributable to its stunning glaciers.
→ Enjoyable truth: The identify Cayambe (Caranqui kayan) comes from the native language and means “ice”.
Map to get to the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park in Pichincha
How a lot does it value to enter the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park?
Entrances to nationwide parks in mainland Ecuador are free. You solely need to register through the public open hours. Keep in mind that you can not convey any pets into the nationwide park. One crucial factor to notice is that you simply want a 4×4 automotive to succeed in the Cayambe refuge, ideally handbook and lifted.
Our automotive, a Jeep Patriot with 4 wheel drive, has not been capable of attain the highest on 3 separate events. If you wish to take a tour from the doorway (any automotive can arrive there) you may name Edwin (+593 96 917 3914) or Rafael (+593 99 135 1448).
The place to sleep on the Cayambe Volcano?
You possibly can sleep within the refuge which prices $31.50 together with breakfast. If you would like the lunch service, it prices $8 USD, the identical with dinner as.
To be able to make a reservation, I like to recommend calling the refuge administrator, Segundo, prematurely on the following quantity: +593 959559765.
When is one of the best time to climb Cayambe?
Though the Cayambe volcano may be climbed in any month of the 12 months, it’s endorsed that you simply do it within the months of June to December, since these are the driest months. The climate may be very unpredictable on the peak, so we advocate you rent a licensed information to soundly climb this summit.
What’s the climate like within the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park?
Being an space of 403,103 hectares, its local weather varies in response to altitude starting from 5 to 25° C relying in your elevation.
The place is the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park?
The Cayambe-Coca Nationwide Park is situated within the provinces of Imbabura, Pichincha, Napo and Sucumbios. It’s a protected space of humid forests and plains simply 38 km west of Quito.
How do you get to the Cayambe volcano?
The Cayambe-Coca Nationwide Park has three separate entrances. You possibly can enter via Cayambe within the province of Pichincha (to enter the volcano and its glacier), via Papallacta in Napo and the jap slopes close to Lago Agrio in Sucumbíos. The attention-grabbing factor is that every of the entrances provides entry to a distinct ecological area.
- Cayambe entrance: First you need to get to town of Cayambe, which is taken into account a Pueblo Mágico by the Ministry of Tourism. To get to Cayambe you need to take the Panamericana Norte freeway. When you get to Cayambe, you will need to take a secondary highway Juan Montalvo – El Hato – Pie Monte that results in the refuge. This part lasts roughly 45 minutes till you attain the checkpoint. To have the ability to go as much as the refuge it’s worthwhile to have a 4×4 automotive and 4×4 tires. I’m telling you concerning the tires, as a result of my automotive is a 4×4 (Jeep Patriot) nevertheless it didn’t have the fitting tires and I couldn’t get on it. In case you wouldn’t have a 4×4 automotive, you may rent a van taxi service from the doorway of the Refuge, which prices $40 USD and might accommodate as much as 8 individuals. This worth is for a spherical journey and a pair of to three hours of ready. If you wish to rent the information to go to the lagoon or the glaciers, there may be an extra value between $10 to $15 in whole. We needed to rent a taxi midway via as our automotive received caught. You possibly can name the guides Edwin (+593 96 917 3914) or Rafael (+593 99 135 1448). When there may be quite a lot of snow, the van drops you under the refuge, and you need to stroll between 15 and 20 minutes, however when there is no such thing as a snow they will drive you all the way in which to the refuge. It’s only half-hour strolling to the Hermoso Glacier and an hour and a half to the Inexperienced Lagoon and an hour and quarter-hour to the Superior Glacier.
- Oyacachi Entrance: It’s important to take the highway to Cangahua for 40 kilometers till you attain the Management Level.
- Rafael Waterfall: you need to get to Chaco and from there drive about 50 kilometers to the doorway to the waterfall.
What are you able to see within the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park?
The preferred actions to do within the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park are mountain climbing, fishing and chicken watching. Right here it is possible for you to to look at an unlimited vary of wildlife together with condors, hummingbirds, parrots, toucans, bears, Andean foxes, rabbits, amongst others.
Throughout the reserve there a number of main volcanoes and mountains together with Cayambe (5,790 m), Sarahurco (3,485 m), Cerro Puntas (4,425 m) and Reventador (3,562 m). Visiting the final volcano will not be advisable attributable to its fixed eruptions. Actually, it’s one in all solely 5 at present lively volcanoes within the nation. To entry Cerro Puntas you need to undergo the El Quinche parish, however remember that from Checa there are slim roads and you’ll solely go in 4×4 autos.
One other of the actions you could get pleasure from within the reserve is go to the thermal waters of Papallacta and Oyacachi, Lake Puruhanta, mountaineering in Cuyuja, and the San Rafael waterfall (131 m.), which is the best waterfall in Ecuador. You may also go to the Lagoons of Sucus, Loreto, and Baños.
→ Fascinating Truth: On this reserve is the third highest peak in Ecuador after Chimborazo and Cotopaxi, the Cayambe volcano, which crosses the equator.
Within the refuge of the Cayambe Coca Pichincha Nationwide Park there’s a toilet, meals and scorching drinks. Drinks and meals begin at $1.00 USD and up. Lunches and dinners are $8.00 USD. If you wish to sleep within the shelter, it prices $31.50, together with breakfast.
What animals are you able to see within the Cayambe Coca Nationwide Park?
The reserve may be very giant and is likely one of the most biodiverse areas within the nation. You possibly can see a variety of fauna and flora, however among the many best animals to see are rabbits, deer, condors, and spectacled bears.
What do it’s worthwhile to pack to go to the Cayambe Nationwide Park?
- Heat clothes
- Two pairs of socks
- Snug footwear, ideally mountain or mountain climbing
- Hat for the chilly
- Coat, sweater, jacket or windbreaker
- Meals and snacks
- Loads of water
- Climbing sticks