Nineteen Chinese language consultants and technicians have been despatched to Mongolia for 3 years to share information and experiences on bettering nationwide meals safety, constructing resilience and adapting to local weather change. The challenge launched intensive farming applied sciences for crop and livestock manufacturing which can be producing fast outcomes beneath excessive weather conditions. This has improved meals availability, in addition to individuals’s entry to it. It has additionally contributed to adjustments in meals preferences amongst Mongolian shoppers who’re choosing more healthy and extra nutritious selections. Moreover, the challenge facilitated mutual exchanges and promoted financial and commerce cooperation within the agriculture sector.
Nobody feels the results of local weather change fairly like farmers. In Mongolia, the rising season lasts for simply 90 days and climate situations have grown more and more unpredictable, affecting crop manufacturing and, in flip, dietary range and vitamin. Malnutrition is excessive and diets are extremely imbalanced.
In response, six Chinese language consultants and 13 technicians have been deployed to 29 housing items in Mongolia, the place they transferred information on animal husbandry, crop manufacturing, meals security and commerce and capability growth to native farmers and agriculture extension employees. The consultants have been primarily from the Internal Mongolia Autonomous Area of China, and shared similarities in language, tradition and agro-ecological situations with these they assisted. Over three years, they launched 11 new applied sciences, 42 new styles of fodder crops and 80 items of agricultural gear, along with organizing 67 coaching programs and coaching 4 700 individuals.
Seeing the outcomes
The principle intention of the challenge, facilitated beneath SSC with China, was to hold out the Nationwide Programme for Meals Safety (NPFS). The NPFS seeks to boost agricultural manufacturing for nationwide and family meals safety by bettering water management, intensifying and diversifying manufacturing (corresponding to greenhouse crops and livestock manufacturing) and selling higher meals storage, meals security and advertising and marketing. Because of this initiative, achievements have been made in quite a few areas:
- Animal husbandry – The SSC consultants launched 42 new styles of fodder crops and early-maturing corn. This cultivation was extremely profitable and accepted as a part of the Mongolian Authorities’s technique on constructing the resilience of herders. The consultants and technicians additionally offered technical help in livestock manufacturing and synthetic insemination.
- Poultry farming – The SSC consultants and technicians offered technical help to extend egg provides by enhanced intensive farming manufacturing, and arrange the primary rooster farm veterinary laboratory in Mongolia.
- Crop manufacturing – The SSC consultants and technicians put in seven irrigation techniques, demonstrating irrigation and water administration applied sciences on 4 000 ha. It developed small-scale greenhouses, which lengthen the rising season by about two months, and launched 32 new styles of greens for mass cultivation and over ten styles of bushes and flowers. It additionally efficiently launched expertise for designing and setting up winter photo voltaic greenhouses to delay planting seasons and help crop diversification (greens and berries).
- Meals security and commerce – The SSC consultants and technicians arrange a Hazard Evaluation and Essential Management Factors working group. This group accomplished a report on the institution of commodity exchanges in Mongolia, proposing seven suggestions for amendments to Mongolian regulation on agriculture sideline product market.
- Know-how extension – The SSC consultants and technicians assisted the Mongolian Agricultural Technical Extension Centre to enhance its system, and offered technical consultancy providers to over 30 corporations.
- Capability growth – 13 coaching programs have been organized, coaching greater than 400 members.
The programme successfully transferred information that may be adopted at native stage, supporting nationwide and family meals safety in addition to agricultural intensification and diversification in Mongolia. Scaling up requires extra partnerships and elevated funding in agriculture. The applied sciences and varieties launched could possibly be carried out on a a lot bigger scale given ample assets.
Based mostly on these preliminary successes, the Authorities has agreed to maneuver forward with the subsequent section, which is able to contain scaling up key applied sciences launched throughout the first section. Precedence areas have already been recognized, and 12 new consultants are able to work.