After the Inaugural Marine Protected Areas (MPA) Day on August 1 in 2021 was a roaring success, this yr’s instalment is ready to go international with a lot of actions deliberate at house and overseas.
South Africa has 41 MPAs, however they solely make up 41% of the nation’s ocean and coast. In the identical approach a nature reserve protects terrestrial vegetation and animals, MPAs serve to guard the inhabitants of the ocean.
‘We’re very enthusiastic about this yr’s MPA Day which can be celebrated the world over,’ mentioned Dr Judy Mann, Govt of Strategic Tasks of the Two Oceans Aquarium Schooling Basis.
‘We’ve new companions to affix our unbelievable group, and we hope to make MPA Day much more accessible to its international supporters. Just a few different nations can be becoming a member of us as we work in the direction of our dream of constructing MPA Day a very worldwide celebration.’
How are you going to have fun MPA Day 2022?
Scientists can be coming ashore this yr, to affix youth teams exploring South Africa’s MPA. There can even be an MPA Day Essay and Artwork Competitors for kids run by the Youth4MPAs collective.
At 7pm on Monday, 1 August the MPA Alliance will host a particular webinar with 5 main South African marine scientists to share the most recent analysis on MPAs. This yr can even see the launch of the Citizen Science initiative. Go to MPA Day — Marine Protected Areas South Africa for extra details about our MPAs and MPA Day or obtain the total exercise record right here.
Among the advantages of MPA’s embody
- Offering a house to uncommon and endangered species thereby guaranteeing marine biodiversity.
- Permitting fish shares to extend in dimension and abundance, supporting adjoining fisheries.
- Defending cultural heritage linked to the ocean.
- Offering lovely areas for leisure actions, thereby selling tourism.
- Offering instructional centres for environmental studying. ·
- Offering a strong basis for researching the pure world.
- Absorbing huge quantities of carbon dioxide helps to create a buffer towards local weather change.
- Making a marine wildlife economic system for sustainable job creation.
ALSO READ: Uncommon video of orcas killing nice white shark in Mossel Bay